Tuesday, December 20, 2011

the Holiday Season is rapidly approaching

Tonight I will pick up my son from the airport. I am so thrilled that he will be home for Christmas. And Tara and Curtis will be here too. Each year when that happens I treasure it as a precious gift.

Friday, is Tara's 30th birthday. I was hoping to have a few of her friends join us for a family birthday celebration. Alas, the December 23 birthday date is not conducive to parties. Over the years we struggled with that, but usually were able to invite enough classmates, neighbors and friends to have successful parties.

This may be the last birthday dinner where the original four of us are together as well. And again, I treasure it as a gift. And this year our family is plus one as Tara's Curtis will also join us.

I was invited to join a group of writers because of my friendship with Margaret. Margaret has chosen to not attend but I'm attending. I've only been able to attend a few times (less than 10) and already I feel like I am making new friends. It is a wonderful group of people and a wonderful feeling being around their creativity and energy. Their associations with education and teaching remind me of my student days and how each new class frequently brought new friends. Then once I began working the 40 year-rut plan, I made some new friends at work, but really stopped making new acquaintances.

Now meeting new people reminds me of how getting out in the world brings so much richness. I get to hear fun stories from their past adventures, share a worry with them about an aging friend or family member. And, I get to marvel at their creative genius as I hear new works in the formative stages. For me it can be exhilarating.

Yes, you can  color me purple, or whatever color you associate with "weird," but it is all good. I love it.

People make the holidays, even a regular Tuesday that at a quick glance appears to be a "normal" day is special if you allow it to be. My job is to remember and give each day or life a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment